Friday, November 17, 2006

What A Change A Day Makes

Y
esterday, the Habs where fresh from an impressive road win, they were winners of 2 consecutive games, for only the second time all year...all was well in Habsland. This morning, things don't seem so rosy. The Habs had their asses handed to them by a Panther team that was riding a 4 game losing streak, and well by most accounts were supposed to be the inferior team.


Okay, I will admit it, I did not watch this one, I saw maybe 30 seconds in the second period...actually saw the Habs lone goal by Pleks. I also saw Jokinen's hat trick goal with 30 seconds left in the third. Yesterday I played basketball, and well Thursday is a huge night for tv watching. So, it is difficult for me to analyse what went wrong last night. All I have to go on, is what I have read on Habs boards, and from snippets on sportscenter. I guess this one can be credited to the usual excuses, 2 games in 2 nights, the usual struggle the Habs have in Florida, the final game of the year's longest road trip. All valid excuses, but all cop outs as well.


I blame this one on coaching. The team that the Habs had on the ice against the Lighting was impressive, why change it? Huet played a great game 2 nights ago, sure it was a second game in 2 nights, sure Carbo probably wanted Huet fresh for the Thrashers at home on Saturday, but, but, I am a firm believer in riding the hot goalie. Carbo's rotation system has lost its effectiveness, Huet has earned the number one spot, time to ride your horse. I disagree with the other roster changes that Carbo made as well....sure it seems to make sense to sit Janne; on paper it was a no brainer. That said, Dandy on the wing on the fourth line, made that fourth line, probably the fastest in the league, they gave the Lighting fits, why change it??


Okay, so the Habs longest trip of the season is over, they return home for a Saturday night tilt, against the high powered Thrashers. Huet should get the start, I think Janne will ride the pine again, he is done. What have the Habs learned on this trip, what issues have been brought up? Thinking positively, it looks like Huet has earned his raise, and has given the Habs a solid number one in goal. The kids, Lats, and Kosti, look like keepers. The powerplay is still rolling. Dandy is back, and Janne is sitting. On the negitive side, Ryder is playing the worst hockey of his young career, Kovi is still an engima, the team still disappears for long stretches every game, and they still are racking up far to many penalty minutes...mediocracy as usual.


That is all I have got. Saturday's game against the Thrashers, is a big one. Carbo if he is smart (the jury is still out on that one) will practise this team hard, work on defensive zone coverage, back checking sans hook, trip, or obstruction. Time for the Habs to keep things simple, use their speed, and forecheck damn it. Rant over, I am out.







No comments: