Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Wild One Lastnight

Had you told me that the Habs and the Flames would score 9 goals combined in one game, I'd have said you were nuts. I predicted that Flames would come out of this contest with a 2-0 win. I figured Kipper who was coming off a soft game against the Leafs, would bounce back, and shut down the Habs offence. Boy was I wrong, to rip off a Maguirism, the book seems to be out on Kipper, he doesn't seem to like the high hard ones...Makes him blink, Sundin blasted a coupla high hard ones by him the other night, and he certainly seemed to blink on Kovalev's slapper that was the game winner lastnight.

Lastnight's game certainly wasn't one for goaltenders, as much as the refs tried to steal the show (15 powerplays, swallow the whistle already), this was an extremely entertaining game to watch. It was up tempo, lots of hitting (the Reghr hit on Downey, legal yes, Scott Stevens on Lindros esque, Downey had is head down, and Reghr took it off), good rough stuff, no fights, I think everyone wanted to see Komi and Iggy go, or Rivet and Phaneuf. All and all the best game I have seen so far this year. It had a playoff feel, both teams wanted to win this one, and it showed.

I have to tip my hat to Radek Bonk, not only has he been doing an admirable job shutting down the other team's top liners all year, he potted a couple of goals tonight. Okay, as much as it pains me to do it, I will tip my hat to Souray as well, he sure does have a blast from the point, and tonight he didn't look like the worst dman on the planet, Markov did, whats with that???

Great game all around, Les Boys, are still undefeated in regulation, bring on those Black Hawks, my brain tells me this should me a 6-4 win for the Habs, but after lastnights bizzarro land score, it just might be a 2-0 win....Who knows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Didn't see the game, but was definitly surprised by the score. Like you, thought this one would have 2-3 goals total, not 9!
2) So when do the rumors of Sutter's return to the bench start? ; )

Joseph said...

good call. the flames have scored 8 goals in the last 2 games, at the expense of their defense, seems its one or the other with the flames. kipper struggling hasn't help at all either. when all is said and done, i think the flames will be fine...the flyers on the other hand....ouch.